Monday, August 27, 2012

THE (mommy-dreaded) FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!

I admit that I have been dreading this day for the past 5 years and 9 months...or so. : ) This little kid has become more and more of my best little friend and buddy with each day so even the thought of grocery shopping without him has made me crazy these past few weeks. I also thought I'd have
cried enough about kindergarten to have any tears left after orientation and the 
readiness testing date (seriously, I took one look at his locker that day
and there was a tear explosion on my part) but unfortunately,
there were a few left for today. 

Tim and I walked him to school in the rain and TJ's face was glowing like the sun through the clouds as he beamed with excitement. He. Was. PUMPED. I definitely helped us to see him so excited and I think 
Tim and I did a pretty good job of not overtalking kindergarten...but also bringing up things for him to 
get into his brain about how long it'd be and so on. Kudos to us, I guess. I think 90% of the credit should go to our little man though for just being so great about it. I kept waiting for him to turn around once we got into the building and look up at me with his big eyes and tell me that he wanted to go home and just 
be with me all day. I kept waiting. But that moment never came. He hugged me, squeezed my hand
then took off into that classroom full of kids and, it seemed, into another world. I don't think I'll
be needed as much in this new world and it scares the life out of me. I nearly ran out of the building and 
pretty much toppled a few other moms in my path. Tim found me and we walked home in the rain. 
And so begins a very big change in our lives. A shift of time and structure, I guess. 




 I was terrified
of the length of the school day for him but as we walked home, he said it flew by and 
he couldn't believe it was time to go. I think this whole school
thing will change everything. Even more than we think. And there's no going back. 
So, on we go...

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP